Lewes Primary School Staff Strike Over Proposed Support Staff Cuts
- Dominic Kureen

- Sep 30
- 2 min read

Staff at a Lewes primary school have begun strike action in a dispute over plans to cut the number of teaching assistants.
Members of the National Education Union (NEU) at South Malling Primary School voted to walk out after proposals were put forward to reduce classroom and pastoral support roles.
The first of six planned strike days took place on Tuesday, with further action expected over the coming weeks.
Union representatives say the school intends to reduce its current six full-time teaching assistants to the equivalent of 3.8 from November, as well as reduce pastoral staff hours.
The NEU warns this would mean pupils in years two to six would only have teaching assistant support in the mornings.
Nick Childs, NEU senior regional officer, said the proposed cuts could have a serious impact on pupils:
“This reduction in support risks having a profound effect on children’s learning, behaviour, and the additional help available to those who need it most.
"While we hope for a resolution, it is disappointing that staff have felt forced to take industrial action.”
Parents have also voiced concerns, warning the changes could affect both teaching standards and wellbeing across the school community.
In a statement, the school said it recognised the strength of feeling around the proposals and was open to further discussions to explore other solutions.
Leaders stressed that no final decision had been made, adding that they are working to balance “significant financial pressures” with maintaining high standards.
East Sussex County Council said the proposals were a matter for the school’s governing body.
The dispute follows strike action earlier this year at Western Road Community Primary School in Lewes, where staff opposed similar planned staff reductions.








Comments