top of page

Fake Taxi Driver Jailed Over Serious Sex Offences In Sussex

  • Writer: Adam Richardson
    Adam Richardson
  • Aug 29
  • 3 min read
ree

Fake taxi driver Graham Head has been jailed for a second time for serious sexual offences against two women.


In July, 2023, Head, 68, formerly of Coast Road in Pevensey, was given a 23-year sentence for kidnap, attempted rape and assault by penetration relating to two female victims in Brighton and Hove.


In November, 2024, the Court of Appeal overturned the conviction following a complaint from Head relating to the Judge who presided over the original trial.


A retrial date was set and, on Thursday (19 June), a new jury at Lewes Crown Court found Head guilty of all counts.


At the same court on Friday (29 August), Head’s original sentence was upheld, of 18 years in custody plus extended licence of five years, totalling 23 years.


Passing sentence, HHJ Christine Laing described Head as a ‘sexual predator preying on vulnerable women’, who is the ‘very definition of dangerous’ and a ‘significant risk of serious harm’.


HHJ Christine Laing commended the victims, including a posthumous commendation for one of the young women who memorised Head’s number plate after the attack leading to his swift arrest on the same night.


“No doubt her actions led to safety of other victims from a similar fate,” they said.


HHJ Christine Laing also commended DC Elliott Lander, DS Matthew Digweed and PS Daniel Head for their roles in the arrest and prosecution of Graham Head, alongside Sexual Offence Investigation Team (SOIT) officers Sarah Sebastian and Hannah Brocklehurst for the support provided to the victims.

 

One of Head’s victims, a woman in her 20s, is now sadly deceased. Her Mum read a personal statement to the court, extracts of which are included below:


“I stand here and address you today, Graham Head, as the mother of one of your two young victims. She cannot be there to help the court understand the utterly devastating impact of your crimes against her in the early hours of 18 November, 2022.


“That is because my only daughter tragically died on 15 December, 2024, just a few days after the Crown Prosecution Service informed her that your appeal had been successful with all your convictions against her quashed.


“My fiercely intelligent daughter immediately understood that, to avoid your release from a 23-year prison sentence, she would have to face the gruelling ordeal of a second Crown Court hearing of the case against you.”


The statement continues:


“[My daughter’s] sense of safety and her confidence in the goodness of the world was completely and permanently shattered the night that you so malevolently tricked her into the back seat of your car. You robbed my gorgeous girl of the bright and promising future that she had been building.


“After that night, [my daughter] was diagnosed with complex PTSD and she developed agoraphobia so severe that she struggled to leave the house, even with the support of her trusted friends. She couldn’t work. She couldn’t do any of her everyday things without fear. The independence, joy and freedom in life that all women are entitled at her age to enjoy had all been stripped away by you.”

 

Detective Constable Elliott Lander from the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team said:


“No prison sentence can make up for the devastation caused by Graham Head’s appalling crimes.


“His refusal to take any responsibility has only inflicted further trauma on his victims. I cannot thank the victims and their families enough for the strength they have shown under extremely challenging circumstances.


“Head presents a clear danger to women and the streets of Sussex are safer now he will remain behind bars.


“Anyone who has any information or concerns linked to this investigation is asked to contact police online or via 101, quoting Operation Cooper.”

 

Rebecca Millardship from the Crown Prosecution Service said:


“Graham Head is a dangerous sexual predator, who poses a real danger to young women.


“He planned his attacks carefully, pretending to be an Uber driver, using latex gloves to minimise the risk of leaving traces of his DNA and, while he was searching for victims, he made sure his phones were on flight mode, so they could not be tracked.


“After a re-trial was ordered, the CPS remained steadfast in our commitment to deliver justice for the victims. 


“Following the tragic death of one of the victims in this case, we were still able to ensure her voice was heard during the re-trial, with her interview given to the police played to the jury and details of the answers she gave to questions from the defence during the original trial also included in our case.


“Today’s sentence ensures that Head will not be able to hurt any other young women. We hope that this sentence brings some small comfort to everyone involved in the case.”

Comments


bottom of page